Beef with Guinness and Bacon
It's the time of year for some comfort food and this delicious recipe can be made on an open fire or in the oven at home.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1.4-1.5kg piece of silverside beef
• 100g pack Smoked Lardons or smoked streaky bacon
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm slices
• 2 onions, peeled and thickly sliced
• 440ml can Guinness Original
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tbsp cornflour, blended to a paste with cold water
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
If using your oven, preheat to 140c or gas mark
1. Heat the oil in your dutch oven or casserole dish, season the beef and then add to the dutch oven, with the string still on, and brown on all sides. Remove from the pot.
2 Add the lardons/bacon to the dutch oven/casserole and cook for 2 minutes.
3 Add the carrot and the onion and cook, stirring for 4 minutes until the onion starts to brown.
4 Add the beef back into the dutch oven/casserole with the Guinness and Worcestershire sauce, bring to the boil. Cover and cook on the coals for 2.5 hours or place in the oven for the same amount of time.
5 Remove the beef and add the blended cornflour to the dutch oven/casserole, boil for 2 minutes
6 After the beef has had some time to rest, carve and serve with the gravy. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves and serve with jacket potatoes or creamy mash.