Pumpkin, Black Bean and Beef Chilli
The nights are drawing in and you can see your breathe in the air - its time for some comfort food using seasonal ingredients.
- 750g beef mince
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 cups sweet pumpkin or butternut squash cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 350ml of beef stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 red chilli peppers - sliced
- Sour Cream to serve
- Dry fry the minced beef in a large Dutch oven or large pan over a medium-high heat until the beef mince has browned completely then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Fry the onion in the Dutch oven or large frying pan along with the red pepper and garlic for 7 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the chilli powder, oregano and cumin and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the cooked beef mince back into the Dutch oven or pan.
- Stir in pumpkin or butternut squash, the black beans, chopped tomatoes, stock and season with the salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and serve with the sliced chilli peppers and sour cream.